Product Feedback & Fresh Ideas

ShipStation’s Feedback and Fresh Ideas Forum is moving!

We have started the process of moving our ideas forum to a new home in the ShipStation Community.

As of August 4th, 2021, this Feedback and Fresh Ideas Forum is no longer accepting new ideas, votes, or comments. However, this forum will remain visible until shortly after the new Ideas board on the ShipStation Community goes live. After that date, this forum will no longer be visible.

If you would like to post an idea after August 4th but before the new Ideas board is live, we have created a temporary discussion board in the community for you to do so. Once our new Ideas board is live, our moderator will move all posts to their permanent home.

ShipStation has used this same forum since we released our very first version back in 2011. In that time, we’ve implemented hundreds of our users’ ideas! But, as our users and our product has evolved, we’ve realized the way we seek and manage our users’ feedback must evolve as well. Starting in September, all feedback and ideas discussions will take place in the Ideas board of the ShipStation Community

If you are not already a member of the ShipStation Community, please join! You can participate in user discussion boards, read exclusive community blog posts, earn rewards through community exclusive events, and much more. To join, go to community.shipstation.com and click the profile icon. You’ll be prompted to log in to your ShipStation account and then redirected back to the community where you can set your unique username and customize your profile (if you wish). Once registered, you can participate in any discussion on the community. 

What will happen to the existing Feedback and Fresh Ideas posts?

Unfortunately, we cannot move all ideas to the new Ideas forum. The posts we are not moving are being set to the  "Archived" status in this forum.

The posts we do move will maintain their statuses, voter count, comments, and link to the original poster. 

Posts we will move to the new Ideas board: 

• All posts in Started, Planned, and In Consideration Queue statuses.
  • Some posts in the Under Review status or with no status, based on post age, recent activity, vote count, and relevance.
  • Posts that have been set to Completed within the last 12 months.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. USPS Return Shipping Label without paying postage up front

The ability to take advantage of USPS Merchandise Return Service and have an option to print a return label with every shipment or selected shipments and not have to pay for the postage unless the customer uses it. I believe this is available through API only and there may be a form you have to submit to USPS: https://www.usps.com/business/merchandise-return-service.htm

264 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    42 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Previously our Endicia integration provided the ability to print pay-on-use USPS return labels if your Endicia account was enabled for this feature.

We are currently exploring the pay-on-use option for other USPS postage providers. We will update this post with more information when available.

2. Customize Branded Returns page

Love the branded returns page, however we'd like to have the option to customize more to our liking.

1. Allow us to modify and change reasons for return
    2. When reason of return is "Other" have a notes field for customer to enter details of return
    3. Ability to disable certain products from being allowed to be returned
    260 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    68 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Is there a way to charge the customer for the return label?

Is there a way to charge the customer for the return label so that we are not paying for every return label? This would especially be good if the customer is returning due to their own error or because they just changed their mind instead of us paying for every single return label?

176 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    53 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for all your feedback.

This idea is under consideration as we look at ways to improve the Branded Returns Portal. We are still seeking feedback on what the ideal experience would be, both from the merchant perspective as well as from your customer perspective. Please feel free to leave additional comments with your thoughts about how you’d like to see this implemented.

4. international return labels

The ability for Shipstaion to process international return labels. I know that you can not create an international return label in ShipStation because the ship from location has to be in the same country as your ShipStation account. We have to use a different service specifically for international return labels, making it extremely inconvenient and adds an unneeded expense on our part having to use two different services.

150 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    42 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone! Thanks for your comments here on international return labels. Can you tell us more about how you handle international returns? For example, if they follow the same return policy as your domestic returns or if there are more restrictions since international shipping requires additional documentation?

5. Generate return labels for one or all of the packages in a multi-package shipment

Currently, when generating a return label, you can only generate a label for a single package. Many of our orders are sent as multiple packages. If a customer desires to return there entire order, there isn't an easy way to generate multi-package return labels for an existing shipment.

We'd really love this functionality.

110 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    41 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your input, everyone!

If you’re creating this return yourself from a previously shipped order, you can create however many return labels needed.

Once you’ve created the return label (within the shipment detail screen) for the first line item you’ve selected and created the label, you’ll stay in the returns screen in the order detail screen and press the blue + New Return link.

This will allow you to create separate return labels for your line items.

If this doesn’t work for you please let us know!

6. Create Return Label Via API

Our site allows customers to request an RMA. When we approve an RMA request, I want to automatically create the return label and email it to the customer via the API.

95 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    28 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all for adding your ideas to the forum here! We’ll keep this in mind when updating our API; for now, we’d like to see what other users think about having return labels generated through the API before moving forward here.

7. Be able to select service on Branded Return Portal

The branded return portal is awesome! I would love to use the feature but cannot based on the return service and package type default. There should be an option to select the original service and package type used on the order.

For example, if I use USPS for my default return and a customer has a big heavy item, I tested this on an order by the way, it will cost $90.00 for USPS vs. $40.00 for UPS. If I use UPS for my default service and it's a small light item, it will cost $9.40 vs. $2.80 for First…

77 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    In consideration queue  ·  19 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Return Label Shipment Notification and Reporting

Notify us (or designated email) when a return label has been used by the recipient (ie picked up by the carrier).

Also, generate a report showing all unused labels

66 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    In consideration queue  ·  13 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add comments and customized return reasons to branded returns portal

I am very pumped about ShipStation handling returns as it makes sense but I have a couple tweaks that seem to be important and missing. One critical missing piece of information on your returns section is a Comment box for the customer. A lot of times a return cannot be handled with just pre-defined drop-down menus, let alone just one. Having a comment box allows the customer to select Defective and comment that they want a return or why it is defective.

Another feature request would be allowing us (admins) to edit the Reason drop down menu. There are a…

36 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback.

We are currently planning how to provide custom return reasons and a comment box in our Branded Returns Portal. We will update this post when we have started development on this.

10. Reference fields in UPS return labels

I notice that there are no "Document Option" for the return shipping labels

I need to add messages to the reference fields on the UPS return label, like the options in the outbound UPS label.

We do drop-ship and require to add Order#, Product Description on the return label.

Please kindly review my request and add the option for UPS return labels.

Thanks!

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Returns without Return Labels

It should be possible for us to generate an RMA number without a return label. In cases where it is the customer's responsibility to pay for return shipping (Changed Mind, Ordered Wrong Product, etc) we still need to track the return for refunding.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    In consideration queue  ·  2 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Return Email Message Template

Please extend the email templates to also work for Return Email Messages. We'd like to be able to include fields from the order/shipment for Customer Name, Order Number, etc. Similar to Shipment and Delivery notifications.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    In consideration queue  ·  4 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Built-In Returns Manager

A built-in returns manager would be very useful for our business. Our needs would be relatively simple, and some of this functionality already exists:

1. We would include a printed pre-paid return label with every package we ship.
    2. We would be able to track open returns in ShipStation, i.e., return labels that are currently in transit
    3. Unused return labels would automatically deactivate after X days for a refund
    4. When we receive returns, we would mark them as "Received" in ShipStation, which would automatically send the customer 1 of 2 possible template emails: either we accept the return and will issue a…
    15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for letting us know you’d like a better way to handled your returns. We’d like for your idea to gain more support from other users before making a decision.

Please comment here in the forum with additional information that may catch the attention of other users.

14. Adjust weight listed on automatic return labels

Our outgoing shipments are about 8 ounces heavier than the return shipment. Am loving the convenience of the auto-generated return labels to bother manually correcting the weight on the return labels, but would love a feature that allowed me to set the weight of the return shipment to a different amount (in our case, "outgoing weight-8oz").

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Two ups accounts return label

I have two UPS accounts set up in ShipStation.

When I ship out something on a specific UPS account, and it needs to be returned, I would like to be able to create a return label on that same account. However, ShipStation only let's me create return labels on the primary account.

So if I ship labels on a secondary UPS account, the only way to print a return label on that secondary account is to temporarily edit the global settings to make it the primary UPS account, then switch it back after I print my return label.

I would…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for leaving your thoughts, everyone! We’ll keep this in mind; for now, please leave your votes and comments to help keep this discussion active. Being specific in how this would affect your workflow and how you’re currently doing it will help our product team to implement new features.
    If you know any other users that are interested please send them here!

16. return labels in bulk

We need to print return labels in bulk. With shipstation, we have to do this one label at a time which is tedious. We should be able to make return labels in batches, just like we are able to create labels in batches. One label at a time just does not make any sense at all.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. RMA Page / Notice or Alert / Search Functionality

Now that you have a decent start with the Customer Generated RMAs, it would be very useful to have a page for RMAs (and their current status). Or at least add a way to find a specific RMA in your search functionality.

As the system is currently configured, we get packages returned to us out of the blue and it takes a little more work to determine what order the return belongs to before we can process it.

Also, we are currently logging all received RMAs in a spreadsheet and had a case where the order number was not logged…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for bringing up all this great info on returns, @chesshouse! Your return labels have the RMA number printed on them. Once you receive a package, you can use the advanced search on the shipments page to look up orders by the RMA number.

When you use advanced search on shipments, remember to change the category to returns (this is the first field you see after clicking “advanced search”). This will be the most direct way to look up your returns.

You can also do a quick search by your customer’s name or city. This will pull up all of the shipments associated with their name or the city. Then you can click on the returns tab to view all returns.

As for your spreadsheet logging, can you give me more detail on what you’re doing with it?

18. Allow for returns portal label on split orders

Currently if a store has two orders with the same order number we can't generate a return label. We frequently have an order we split into two. It would be great if the returns label portal would just return both orders that match the order number and zip. It could show the items on both orders and allow the user select the items they want to return.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback!

We are currently planning to add support to the Branded Returns Portal for split shipments. We will update this post once we have released this ability in ShipStation.

19. Make Return Label Packing Slip show returned products only

Right now if I create a return label for an order, but I am only "returning" one line item, I can select that and see that in the returns system, but the resulting packing slip that is printed shows the full/complete order. I have to trash this (we print packing slip & label on one sheet) and leave a note with the label on what we expect the customer to return. In essence, when printing a return label that includes a packing slip, it should be a "return packing slip", not just a re-print of the original order.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. FedEx One Rate Returns

Please add FedEx One Rate Returns. The only option is to use UPS for returns. Thank you.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base