Product Feedback & Fresh Ideas

The ShipStation Feedback Forum collects your ideas and allows you to vote and comment on other ideas so our product team can understand what new features are most important to you or what business challenges we need to address next.

Everyone has 20 votes to spend on ideas that are important to them (but you can comment as much as you like). 

While all ideas will get reviewed, it's simply not possible for all ideas to make it onto the product roadmap. The more activity an idea has, however, the more likely it is to be considered. So, be sure to check if your idea has already been posted so you can add your votes and comments to it! 

Suggestions for Writing a Great Idea Post

• Write a title to succinctly summarize your post. Other users should be able to identify if their idea is similar to yours just by reading the title so they will know to vote and comment on it!
  • Explain the problem you are trying to solve and what you think should be added or changed in ShipStation to solve this problem. 
  • Describe how you would use this feature or how you think it should function to serve your need.
  • Attach a screenshot to help illustrate your point. 
  • Put the idea in the category that best fits what you are trying to accomplish (for example: Order Management, Insights & Reporting, or Printing & Documents).

What to Expect With an Idea 

Our moderators will regularly review posts to ensure:
    • They are categorized in a logical way. If not, they may move them to the proper category. 
    • The title accurately reflects the idea content so others can understand. If not, they may edit the post title to help others identify posts they want to vote and comment on.
    • That posts are really ideas and not bug reports or issues that require contacting our support team. 
    • That any request that has an existing solution or can be accomplished with existing features gets a response to let everyone know a solution or feature already exists and how to learn about it.
Our moderators will also update the statuses of posts as they are considered by our product team. If an idea makes it onto the roadmap, we'll update the idea status from Planned to Started to Completed as work progresses on the idea. If an idea is declined or archived, our moderator will update the status to indicate so and you will receive your votes back to use on other ideas in the future. 

Finally, if more information is needed on an idea, the moderator will post a reply to ask for them. If it is your idea or you have commented on the idea, you should receive an email notification when this occurs.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Customize Branded Returns page

Love the branded returns page, however we'd like to have the option to customize more to our liking.

1. Allow us to modify and change reasons for return

2. When reason of return is "Other" have a notes field for customer to enter details of return

3. Ability to disable certain products from being allowed to be returned

258 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    67 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. USPS Return Shipping Label without paying postage up front

The ability to take advantage of USPS Merchandise Return Service and have an option to print a return label with every shipment or selected shipments and not have to pay for the postage unless the customer uses it. I believe this is available through API only and there may be a form you have to submit to USPS: https://www.usps.com/business/merchandise-return-service.htm

245 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    39 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Previously our Endicia integration provided the ability to print pay-on-use USPS return labels if your Endicia account was enabled for this feature.

We are currently exploring the pay-on-use option for other USPS postage providers. We will update this post with more information when available.

3. Is there a way to charge the customer for the return label?

Is there a way to charge the customer for the return label so that we are not paying for every return label? This would especially be good if the customer is returning due to their own error or because they just changed their mind instead of us paying for every single return label?

161 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    50 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for all your feedback.

This idea is under consideration as we look at ways to improve the Branded Returns Portal. We are still seeking feedback on what the ideal experience would be, both from the merchant perspective as well as from your customer perspective. Please feel free to leave additional comments with your thoughts about how you’d like to see this implemented.

4. international return labels

The ability for Shipstaion to process international return labels. I know that you can not create an international return label in ShipStation because the ship from location has to be in the same country as your ShipStation account. We have to use a different service specifically for international return labels, making it extremely inconvenient and adds an unneeded expense on our part having to use two different services.

142 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    40 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone! Thanks for your comments here on international return labels. Can you tell us more about how you handle international returns? For example, if they follow the same return policy as your domestic returns or if there are more restrictions since international shipping requires additional documentation?

5. Generate return labels for one or all of the packages in a multi-package shipment

Currently, when generating a return label, you can only generate a label for a single package. Many of our orders are sent as multiple packages. If a customer desires to return there entire order, there isn't an easy way to generate multi-package return labels for an existing shipment.We'd really love this functionality.

110 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    37 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your input, everyone!

If you’re creating this return yourself from a previously shipped order, you can create however many return labels needed.

Once you’ve created the return label (within the shipment detail screen) for the first line item you’ve selected and created the label, you’ll stay in the returns screen in the order detail screen and press the blue + New Return link.

This will allow you to create separate return labels for your line items.

If this doesn’t work for you please let us know!

6. Create Return Label Via API

Our site allows customers to request an RMA. When we approve an RMA request, I want to automatically create the return label and email it to the customer via the API.

89 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    27 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all for adding your ideas to the forum here! We’ll keep this in mind when updating our API; for now, we’d like to see what other users think about having return labels generated through the API before moving forward here.

7. Be able to select service on Branded Return Portal

The branded return portal is awesome! I would love to use the feature but cannot based on the return service and package type default. There should be an option to select the original service and package type used on the order.

For example, if I use USPS for my default return and a customer has a big heavy item, I tested this on an order by the way, it will cost $90.00 for USPS vs. $40.00 for UPS. If I use UPS for my default service and it's a small light item, it will cost $9.40 vs. $2.80 for First…

69 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    18 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Return Label Shipment Notification and Reporting

Notify us (or designated email) when a return label has been used by the recipient (ie picked up by the carrier).

Also, generate a report showing all unused labels

54 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add comments and customized return reasons to branded returns portal

I am very pumped about ShipStation handling returns as it makes sense but I have a couple tweaks that seem to be important and missing. One critical missing piece of information on your returns section is a Comment box for the customer. A lot of times a return cannot be handled with just pre-defined drop-down menus, let alone just one. Having a comment box allows the customer to select Defective and comment that they want a return or why it is defective.

Another feature request would be allowing us (admins) to edit the Reason drop down menu. There are a…

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback.

We are currently planning how to provide custom return reasons and a comment box in our Branded Returns Portal. We will update this post when we have started development on this.

10. Reference fields in UPS return labels

I notice that there are no "Document Option" for the return shipping labels

I need to add messages to the reference fields on the UPS return label, like the options in the outbound UPS label.

We do drop-ship and require to add Order#, Product Description on the return label.

Please kindly review my request and add the option for UPS return labels.

Thanks!

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Returns without Return Labels

It should be possible for us to generate an RMA number without a return label. In cases where it is the customer's responsibility to pay for return shipping (Changed Mind, Ordered Wrong Product, etc) we still need to track the return for refunding.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Return Email Message Template

Please extend the email templates to also work for Return Email Messages. We'd like to be able to include fields from the order/shipment for Customer Name, Order Number, etc. Similar to Shipment and Delivery notifications.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. I would like to be able to create a return to generate an RMA# without a label. We have customers that return product on their own.

I would like to be able to create a return to generate an RMA# without a creating a shipment/label. We have customers that return product on their own, and without a return/RMA# attached to their order it makes it very difficult for my finance dept. to reconcile. If a customer returns a product on their own, we then have to note we can note it is the system on their original order yet without having an RMA # assign there is no way for anyone looking in SS to identify that it is a return thus having to create a…

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. automatically add funds for postage when processing return label

Automatically purchase more postage when creating a return label when the funds are deficient.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Built-In Returns Manager

A built-in returns manager would be very useful for our business. Our needs would be relatively simple, and some of this functionality already exists:1. We would include a printed pre-paid return label with every package we ship.2. We would be able to track open returns in ShipStation, i.e., return labels that are currently in transit3. Unused return labels would automatically deactivate after X days for a refund4. When we receive returns, we would mark them as "Received" in ShipStation, which would automatically send the customer 1 of 2 possible template emails: either we accept the return and will issue a…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for letting us know you’d like a better way to handled your returns. We’d like for your idea to gain more support from other users before making a decision.

Please comment here in the forum with additional information that may catch the attention of other users.

16. Branded Returns Portal problem - 'order not shipped' preventing returns

My customers are seeing 'order not shipped' when they try to return an item through the branded returns portal. Apparently the Branded Returns Portal looks for either a Shipment record or a Fulfillment record in ShipStation in order to determine that a return can be processed using the branded returns page. Since I have Shopify directly connected to FBA (not through ShipStation), ShipStation does not create this record. So I am having to go in and manually mark orders as shipped in order for the branded return portal to work. Not fun... Please consider changing the branded returns portal so…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Applying for an RMA instead of just submitting one without approval

When a customer creates an RMA through the Branded Returns Portal, it should not be possible just to print the shipping/return label right away. The customer should apply for an RMA, and if it gets approved then the shipping label can be printed.
    This would help us gain control over RMA's

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Adjust weight listed on automatic return labels

Our outgoing shipments are about 8 ounces heavier than the return shipment. Am loving the convenience of the auto-generated return labels to bother manually correcting the weight on the return labels, but would love a feature that allowed me to set the weight of the return shipment to a different amount (in our case, "outgoing weight-8oz").

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Two ups accounts return label

I have two UPS accounts set up in ShipStation.

When I ship out something on a specific UPS account, and it needs to be returned, I would like to be able to create a return label on that same account. However, ShipStation only let's me create return labels on the primary account.

So if I ship labels on a secondary UPS account, the only way to print a return label on that secondary account is to temporarily edit the global settings to make it the primary UPS account, then switch it back after I print my return label.

I would…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Returns Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for leaving your thoughts, everyone! We’ll keep this in mind; for now, please leave your votes and comments to help keep this discussion active. Being specific in how this would affect your workflow and how you’re currently doing it will help our product team to implement new features.
    If you know any other users that are interested please send them here!

20. return labels in bulk

We need to print return labels in bulk. With shipstation, we have to do this one label at a time which is tedious. We should be able to make return labels in batches, just like we are able to create labels in batches. One label at a time just does not make any sense at all.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base